Monday, January 5, 2015

Superstar-Chapter 39

Greetings and Salutations! Welcome to the 1st post of the New Year! Happy 2015! Y'all know the drill: Like me on Facebook, Follow me on Twitter! Don't forget to get your copy of Facets: Stories of the Mundane and the Weird from the Kindle store on Amazon! And...story!


Chapter 39: Fallin’

“So, what d’you think?” Terry asked.
“It’s so big,” Dom responded with apparent awe.
“I know. Sometimes when I have the chance, I just sit down and look at it.”
“I have to say, I am impressed,” Dom said as she surveyed the inside of Trudy’s Soul Food Emporium. “It’s so much bigger than it looks from outside.”
Terry and Dom stood in a small waiting area that led to a sprawling main floor with plenty of tables in the middle and comfortable booths along the walls. There was a raised dais along the rearmost wall with more tables. The walnut stained wood and matching carpet gave the interior some warm color against the white walls and the small chandeliers, along with the wall sconces provided a cozy and relaxing venue to dine in.
It was Five-twenty-five when Terry and Dom walked in, only a few tables were full and the evening rush hadn’t started yet.
Perfect timing, Terry thought to himself.
“Whassup, Terry?” The hostess said with a wide smile.
“Nothin’ much, just taking a beautiful woman to dinner,” Terry turned towards Dom and said, “Dominique, this is Shaunda; Shaunda, Dominique.” Dom and Shaunda shook hands and exchanged pleasantries.
Dom noticed a little gush in Shaunda’s voice as she spoke to Terry. The girl was brown skinned with micro braids that framed her face. She had a little cute thing going on, but Dom wasn’t worried; She knew she looked better.
“Where d’you wanna sit?” Shaunda asked.
“Is Jomanda workin’?”
“Yep, and she’s got a booth open on the dais.”
“Good. Put us in her section, please?”
“Alright.” Shaunda said as she grabbed two menus and led them to their seat. Dom followed Shaunda with Terry behind her. (and she knew he was checking out her posterior, which she didn’t mind.)
After reciting the evening specials, Shaunda left Terry and Dom to themselves.
“So, did you enjoy ogling my butt?” Dom asked Terry.
“Sure did.” Terry smiled. “Why d’you think I had you walk in front of me?”
“I knew you was freaky.” She quipped. “Anyway, this is very nice. I feel like I’m in one of those fancy joints.”
“Yeah, but the magic’s worn off for me.”
“Well, you are here every day.” Dom observed.
“True dat.”
“You just had to rub in the fact that you’re off today, didn’t you?” said a tan colored sista as she walked up to the table, glaring in mock outrage at Terry.
“Of course,” He replied. “Wouldn’t you?”
“In a New York Minute.” She extended her hand to Dom and said, “Hi, my name is Jomanda. Since Mr. Mosley has no manners I have to introduce myself.”
“I was about to…,” Terry began.
Dom smiled and shook Jomanda’s hand. “You know how Terry is: if it doesn’t have to do with music, it’s pretty much not on his mind.”
“Forget the both of y’all,” He groused.
Jomanda laughed. “Now that I’ve embarrassed Terry, what can I get for you tonight?” Terry and Dom gave their orders and Jomanda left to get their drinks.
“So, what are we going to see tonight? You never did tell me.” Dom said.
“Philidelphia.” Terry answered. “That new one with Tom Hanks and Denzel Washington?”
“Oh, yeah. That looked good.”
Terry nodded. “It’ll probably turn on the Inspirational Well.”
“’Inspirational Well?’”
“Where I get song ideas from,” Terry explained. “Just about anything can turn it on: a movie, sounds on the street…”
Jomanda brought back their sodas and their salads. “…or thoughts about a certain woman, whose eyes are so beautiful it’s like looking into a pool of twenty-four carat diamonds.”
Dom blushed and said, “Thanks, but don’t think you’re gonna get some just because you’re all charming and stuff.”
“Damn,” Terry grinned. “You figured me out.” They both laughed at that and ate their salads quietly for a few moments.
“Can I ask you a question, Dom?”
“Sure.”
“What is it you like about me?” Dom rested her chin on her hands for a moment, just looking at him.
“Well, besides the fact that you’re a talented musician, you’re sweet, you don’t try to be Mister Pimp-Playa-Mack-Daddy…”
“No future in it,” he added.
“…And,” Dom said, ignoring the comment, “You’re attentive, very supportive, passionate, sexy…”
Dom stopped as Jomanda returned with their dinners and refills. He’d just taken a sip of his soda when she said, “…and you have the cutest ass.” Terry raised his hands and coughed loudly as Dom got up and patted him on his back, her face bright with laughter.
“Thanks,” He said.
“You’re welcome,” Dom giggled. “Now, let me reverse the question.”
“What do I like about you?”
“Yeah.”
“You really know how to dance,” He said with a grin.
“You’re not funny.”
“Okay, seriously,” Terry gazed into her eyes, boring deep into her soul and said, “Everything.”
“Can you be a little more specific?”
“I like your walk, your eyes, your mouth, your smile, the way you look in a pair of jeans, the look in your eyes when you nail a vocal the way you wanted…shall I go on?”
“No, I get the message,” Dom said. “You don’t do things in half measures do you?”
“Nope. It’s all or nothing at all,” He answered.
“Why is that?”
“What the point of doing anything, if you’re not gonna put everything you have into it?” Terry explained. “I don’t see the point of holding back. Do you?”
Dom trembled a little inside. The intensity in his eyes, in his voice unnerved her. She felt for Terry, but he was looking for more from her obviously and part of her wanted to step up and let him see the passion inside of her. Once she did that, there’d be no turning back. The love between them would either help her to fly or fall.
After a significant pause, Dom asked Terry about his mother. If he noticed the attempt to change the subject, he gave no sign.
“My mom was a great woman. She was a nurse, by trade, very warm, encouraging and didn’t miss a thing,” Terry smiled. “She was my first fan.”
“That’s sweet,” Dom smiled.
“Yeah. She and Carl met at a party where he and his friends were the house band. Carl told me that the moment he saw my mom, he promptly forgot what he was playing.”
“Really?” Dom asked.
“Yeah,” Terry stared off into space, as if he could see the past playing behind Dom’s shoulder. “When me and Carl were cool, he told me all about that and how once their eyes met, it was all over.”
“Love at first sight, hmm?”
“Yeah. Hard to believe, huh?”
“Not really,” Dom grinned and looked into his eyes.
“Anyway…” Terry continued “…Mom was completely supportive of Carl and his music. She was at every little place his band gigged at and kept him encouraged when things got difficult. He knew he’d found a good woman and after a year, made an honest woman of her. Eventually, Carl got a job in a factory, because music wasn’t bringing in enough.”
“But, your mom was a nurse.” Dom interjected. “She could’ve supported the both of them.”
“True, but along with a prodigious talent…”
“Ooh, big word.”
“…Carl had a lot of pride. He couldn’t let his woman take care of him like that.”
“Even though he could’ve pursued his music full time?”
“Hey, I just live on this planet and I wasn’t even thought of when all of this went down.” Terry shook his head. “Maybe Carl wanted to make things more difficult than they had to be.”
“Hmm. Maybe.” Dom agreed. “So, when did you come into the picture?”
“1968. June,” Terry smiled. “’And unto you a son is given…’”
“Angels announced your arrival?”
“No, nothing that auspicious. Carl did write a song for me though.”
“That’s beautiful,” Dom said. “What did he call it?”
“’Terry’s Song.’”
Dom had the grace to look embarrassed. “I guess that should’ve been obvious.”
“Not really. I didn’t call your song by your name,” Terry said. “I called it ‘Angel.’”
“Stop making me blush.” Dom smiled as her neck and face grew red.

“You’re beautiful when you blush.” Terry said as he grabbed Dom’s hand. They gazed into one another’s eyes and Dominique felt her heart leap in her chest the way it always did when he looked at her. Yeah, she thought to herself. I’m definitely under his spell.

(c)2015 Courtney & W.L. Sherrod

No comments:

Post a Comment