Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Superstar-Chapter 22

Hello, All! New Chapter! Apologies for the day late dollar shortness...Like on Facebook and Follow on Twitter...and...Go!



Chapter 22: Destiny

Terry noticed a large swirling palette of emotions in the room when he and Dominique walked, smiling and laughing, into rehearsal together:
Lisa was actually there on time, and looked happy to see the both of them together finally. Rob was obviously pissed, which tickled Terry a bit. Wanda acted all nonchalant, but he was sure she wanted to pull out Dom’s hair and blacken her eyes. Larry was indifferent, as usual, and Eric looked concerned. This bothered Terry a little, but not enough to spoil his mood. He filed that concern away for later.
“Good to see you two made it.”, Eric said. “Let’s go, time is money.”
“Good morning to you, too, Groove.”, Terry replied.
Everyone took their places. Terry saw Wanda throw a gaze of utter contempt at Dom, who was completely unaware of it. As Terry signaled Larry to start, he hoped nothing was about to jump off.
Larry clicked his sticks together four times, counting off the beat, and played the beat for ‘Whatcha Gonna Do For Me’ by Chaka Khan. The rest of the band fell into place and locked onto a blistering groove. Dom began to sing and her voice fit the music like a glove. All this musical bliss lasted until a discordant wave of sound threw everyone off. The music came to an abrupt halt and everyone glared at Wanda. She merely shrugged and looked sheepish.
“What was that?” Terry asked ominously.
“I’m sorry.” Wanda whined. “My hand slipped.”
“Yeah, okay, ‘slipped’.” He groused. “From the top, Larry.”
Four stick clicks and Avant Groove was off and running again. Dom began to sing and her voice intertwined with the music, making a whole that was greater than the sum of its’ parts.
That is, until Wanda “slipped” and threw everyone off track again.
As one, the band turned and glared at Wanda. She had on her best innocent face as she apologized once again. Terry was about to confront her, but Dom was a little swifter than he was. She stalked up to Wanda and said through clenched teeth, “I don’t give a fuck how pissed you are about me and Terry, if you mess up one more time, I’m takin’ your damn keyboard and shovin’ it up yo’ non-singin’, jealous ass and make you fart in harmony! Got me?”
“Yes.” Wanda squeaked.
“Good.” Dom snapped. “Larry, once more from the top.”
Wanda played skillfully and without mishap after that. Terry was impressed. He noticed that Groove looked a little hot under the collar, though. Terry sighed to himself He knew this wasn’t going to bode well for later.


“Dom, can I talk to you for a minute?” Eric asked.
“Sure.” She answered. “What about?”
“What happened earlier with Wanda.”
“What about it?” Dom asked and folded her arms across her chest. She could feel a lecture coming.
“First, I do appreciate the way you handled it, but that’s not your responsibility. Next time, let me or Terry take care of it.” Eric said.
“If you would’ve taken care of Wanda’s diva bullshit before now, we wouldn’t be having this problem.”
“What’s that supposed to mean?”
“That Wanda’s been on some personal shit, since before I got here and you’ve never called her on it.” Dom explained.
Eric folded his arms across his chest. “I don’t see where that’s any of your business.”
“It is when somebody’s disruptin’ my rehearsal time.”
Eric quietly gazed at Dom for a few moments, an unreadable expression on his face. Dom was about to ask what his problem was when he asked her, “What are your intentions with Terry?”
Perplexed, Dom asked him, “What do you mean?”
“I mean, what are you intentions towards Terry?”
“I don’t see where that’s any of your business.”
“It is when somebody’s breakin’ my little brother’s heart over some bullshit.”
“You and Terry are related?”
“No.” Eric answered. “But he’s like the little brother I never had and I’m a little protective of him.
“He’s a grown man, Eric.”
“Yeah, he is. That means he can make his own choices, even if they may not be the right ones.”
A flash of anger ripped through Dom and she swallowed down a caustic remark. After a deep breath, she said, “I wouldn’t do anything to hurt Terry, Eric, and I’m hurt that you think I would.”
“Maybe not intentionally.” Eric said. “I saw what went down after Wanda’s little trick and I saw that you genuinely care about Terry, but I know you love the spotlight, Dom, I’ve seen it. If it came down to Terry or Center Stage, which one would you choose?”

Eric walked away and left Dom with a hard, uncomfortable truth ringing in her ears.


(c)2014 Courtney & W.L. Sherrod

No comments:

Post a Comment