Sunday, September 16, 2018

Deadpool 2

The first Deadpool movie left me gobsmacked after I saw it.
I was in literal shock from just taking all of it in. It was funny, violent, witty and wonderfully meta. Ryan Reynolds and Co. translated the Merc With a Mouth from the page to the screen and, thankfully, erased the version seen in Wolverine: Origins.
Imagine my disappointment with Deadpool 2.
Don't misread, the fight scenes and effect shots were awesome and Josh Brolin, fresh from killing half the universe in Avengers: Infinity War, gave some much need gravitas as Cable and Zazie Beetz literally kicked ass as Domino, but even so, the movie left me unsatisfied at the end.
My main problem was how the story was executed. There was a story there, but it felt like it was sacrificed for the humor. In the first Deadpool, there was humor, but it served the story, also I was emotionally invested in what Wade was doing, but not so much in #2. Jullian Dennison's Russell Collins, just seemed really whiny to me and Wade trying to redeem this kid from killing Eddie Marsan's evil Headmaster (who lacked any real malevolence to me) didn't feel real to me. Cable coming back to keep Rusty from becoming evil? That I bought.
Basically, Deadpool 2 won't be one of those movies I gotta buy. I put it in the same category as Spider-Man 3; it's there, but nothing can make me want to watch it again.






No comments:

Post a Comment