Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Superstar-Chapter 51

Thanks for reading... Follow me on Twitter and Like me on Facebook! Check out previous chapters of Superstar and samples of my first novel, Facets: Stories of the Mundane and the Weird, here on the blog. Facets is available on the Kindle Market!


Chapter 51: Silence

         “What’s the matter, honey?” Dom asked Terry.
         Silence.
         “Terry? Did you hear me?” She tried again. He didn’t answer and his eyes were solidly on the road, his hands rigidly holding the steering wheel. Terry had been strangely quiet ever since they left the studio. Dom knew something was bothering him, but he wouldn’t open up and talk to her about it. Her good mood was slowly being spoiled and it was slowly pissing her off.
         “Yeah, I hear you.” He answered tersely.
         Dom leaned over and whispered, “Say something.”
         “Okay. Something.”
         Dom was not amused. “You know what I mean. C’mon, talk to me. You’re being awfully quiet.”
         “Guess I’m talked out right now.”
          Dom folded her arms, sat back and said, “Fine.”
         They pulled up to Terry’s apartment and went in. Dom went to the bedroom and closed the door. Hard. Terry sighed and sat on the couch.
         He knew Dom was annoyed with him right then, but he didn’t know how to open up and tell her what was bothering him without sounding like a whiny punk. Terry grabbed Fourplay’s first album, popped it into the CD player and sat in the recliner, trying to relax. Try as he might, he couldn’t break the fear that had his heart encased in a block of ice.
         “Terry.”
         His eyes snapped open and he stared at Dom as if he just woke from a trance. “Yeah? What’s up?”
         “We need to talk.”
         “What about?”
         “Why you were so quiet on the way home and was totally crappy towards me when I asked you what was wrong…”
         “I wasn’t crappy…”
         “Yes. You were.” Dom said sharply. “I don’t know what the Hell’s wrong with you, but I suggest you start talkin’ to me or I’m gonna get really pissed off.”
        “Wouldn’t want that would we?” Terry muttered to himself.
        “What?”
        “It’s a problem that has to do with me.”
        “Well, I’m your roommate now and your problems affect me too.” She folded her arms, rested her weight on a hip and waited for a reply. Terry didn’t really want to, but he could tell she wasn’t moving. So, reluctantly, Terry gave with the truth.
        He sighed and said, “You sounded great on ‘Free’ tonight.”
        Dom narrowed her eyes. “What?”
        “You sounded so good and looked so happy.” Terry explained. “I had a flash of you standing in front of a crowd, singing and you totally belonged there. I was happy and proud of you, y’know?”
        “Yeah.” Dom smiled.
        “Then it hit me: What if somebody wants to sign you and not the whole group? I know you want the ‘Big Life’. It’s what you’ve always dreamed of and I don’t wanna stand in your way, but…”
       “But what?” Dom asked.
       “I don’t wanna lose you, Dom.” Terry sighed. “I don’t want you to walk away and forget about us, about me.”
       Dom sat on Terry’s lap and kissed him. “Why would I do that?”
       “I dunno.” Terry said and bowed his head. “I can only hope you don’t.”
       “Well, lemme clarify something.” Dom said as she lifted Terry’s face so she could look him in the eye. “I do want to be famous. I do want to make it to the big time, but I want to take you with me. I don’t want to do it without you, baby.”
       Terry sighed in relief and held her close. Dom returned the embrace and said, “You’re not getting rid of me that easily.”
       “I wouldn’t want to.” They held each other close, secure in the knowledge that whatever happened, they would be together.


 (c)2015 Courtney & W.L. Sherrod

No comments:

Post a Comment